This blog is intended to provide solution based commentary on the Golden State Warriors and other NBA teams. I could always complain, but what would that do for the Warriors and other teams that lose?








Monday, October 11, 2010

A Blogger's Life

This blog is about basketball. I haven't been writing for very long but this blog is hard to maintain while working a full time job and being married. Of course my wife wants to do things on the weekends and they do not include watching me write blog posts. Like you the reader or fellow blogger, I have other interests as well. Probably three times a week I read articles by bloggers who don't write anything about basketball just so that I can find out different ways to increase my blog traffic. Most of them are good reads and are very helpful. If you're a blogger who came across this post, please leave a comment. Usually I find time to post in the mornings before I go to work or on my lunch breaks at work. I find it very difficult to consistently post on my blog, you know 5 days a week at least, so this article and question is to you the reader and or blogger, how do you do it?


A few writers that I read regularly seem to be able to juggle both pretty well. Recently I read an excellent post by Matthew Bunch of http://www.hothothoops.com/ where he was discussing the fact that he and his website will no longer be apart of the ESPN TrueHoop Network. It's a sad story and I feel for Matthew and the rest of his writers over there. But what stuck out to me most was this quote in his article: "However, for two guys getting paid $0 for their work and working at least one full-time job (I can’t speak for Surya, I work 60 hours a week),"

60 hours a week! Now I figure that most bloggers have day jobs unless they are in the extremely coveted position of being able to get paid for one of their hobbies. So again, how do you do it and just out of curiosity, what are some of your day jobs? For example, I have a lot of respect for Joshua Russell over at http://www.warriorscourt.com/. He appears to be a one man operation but he also manages the http://www.moneyballblog.com/ and http://www.ninersnuggets.com/. All three are updated frequently with brief yet informative articles, very impressive.

Then there's Adam Lauridsen of warriors fast break. Apparently he's a lawyer but also a very good sports writer. His objective, optimistic yet still realistic points of view are a must read for Warriors fans everywhere. I'm sure his Harvard education helps with his writing, but being a lawyer and consistent blogger?

Ethan Sherwood Strauss of http://www.warriorsworld.net/ seems to be a pretty busy writer as well, penning articles for slate that have nothing to do with basketball.

These were just a few examples that I have sighted so feel free to offer your insights on the challenges of blogging, and juggling life. Or if you are one of these guys whom I just mentioned, thanks for reading and again leave a comment. Or if you just like to read blogs in general, please leave your comments as well. After all that's what I was and still am. Thanks for your time, because obviously it isn't easy to manage.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew,

    Nice post on an interesting topic. There are never enough hours in the day, so finding the time to blog is always a challenge. Given my day job, a lot of my work gets done in the wee hours of the morning. I really enjoy the process of writing, so I make time for it the way I would any other hobby I enjoy. A lot of times a good post won't take longer than 30 minutes, so instead of crashing in front of the TV or randomly surfing the internet, I purposefully set aside time for writing. It's a labor of love, but one that I find really rewarding for the interaction it brings with other fans and the fun of putting your thoughts into print.

    Best,

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Adam. 30 minutes, wow that's pretty impressive. Hopefully I'll get down to that number soon but I appreciate your writing and can tell that you put thought into it. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete